January 2nd, 2019 by Zachary Shahan
Following up on EV battery and EV charging #NewsBonanza posts, right here’s one on 11 autonomous car & AI tales from the previous couple of months that we thought ought to be coated however we by no means acquired to for particular person tales. Take pleasure in.
1. Google needs to make “good” AI, and it needs your assist doing so. “Google is taking both its immense tech capabilities and social responsibility role very seriously. Namely, it has pledged to provide tangible support to organizations wanting to help address societal challenges using artificial intelligence through its just announced ‘AI Impact Challenge’. Whether an idea needs coaching, grant funding from a pool of $25 million available, or credit and consulting from cloud services, Google will be there to help.”
2. The U.S. Division of Protection (DoD) is placing $2 billion into an effort to offer synthetic intelligence with widespread sense, by way of a program referred to as Machine Widespread Sense (MCS). “The program aims to enable computers to communicate naturally, behave reasonably in new situations, and learn from new experiences.”
three. Sensible Columbus & DriveOhio launched a self-driving shuttle service on December 10th. Sensible Circuit, because it’s referred to as, makes use of automobiles from Might Mobility and covers a 1.5-mile loop across the Scioto Mile in the course of the hours 6:00–22:00. There are four stops and departures are each 10 minutes. Whereas the shuttle is autonomous (and free), there’s a backup driver onboard for now.
four. Lyft purchased AR firm Blue Imaginative and prescient Labs. “Blue Vision Labs will be the first Lyft office in London, and will become part of Lyft’s Level 5 division to build technology for Lyft’s self-driving efforts.”
5. Bosch & Daimler goal to make San José, California, the check locale of an on-demand, autonomous, ride-hailing service. “Utilizing automated Mercedes-Benz S-Class automobiles, Bosch and Daimler suggest to supply the service to a specific consumer group within the San Carlos/Stevens Creek hall between downtown and west San José.
“The on-demand ride-hailing service app operated by Daimler Mobility Services will demonstrate how mobility services such as car sharing (car2go), ride-hailing (mytaxi), and multi-modal platforms (moovel) can be intelligently connected. The test operation will provide information about how highly and fully automated vehicles can be integrated into a multi-modal transportation network. The intent is to provide a seamless digital experience, in which a selected user community will have the opportunity to hail a self-driving car, monitored by a safety driver, from a designated pick-up location and drive automatically to their destination.”
6. Emily Hamilton of Market Urbanism proposes three insurance policies which are crucial to make self-driving automobiles truly work for cities — assist cities fairly than harm them. Click on the hyperlink to learn the concepts.
7. Brett Winton of Ark Make investments famous on Twitter how quickly the computing efficiency wanted for autonomous driving has improved. To be trustworthy, the tweet (under) would have flown over my head if I noticed it with out context, however somebody on the Tesla Motors Membership discussion board made the purpose clear by way of his/her discussion board publish headline: “The plummeting cost of deep learning silicon.”
2016: nVidia introduces the drive PX 2, a 16 tera-op liquid-cooled supercomputer for the automotive to allow autonomous functionality on the low-low worth of ~$15,000
2018: Purchase three iPhones for ~$three,000 and shove them into the glove compartment; you get roughly the identical quantity of efficiency https://t.co/evp6UHPrzb
— Brett Winton (@wintonARK) September 12, 2018
eight. Hyundai has plopped some undisclosed amount of money into deep studying pc imaginative and prescient startup Allegro.AI.
“Hyundai expects to provide safer driving experiences for its customers by adopting DL computer vision technologies from prominent firms such as allegro.ai. These technologies can be applied to autonomous driving systems to enhance road navigation and real-time decision making,” Hyundai famous alongside the announcement.
“Founded in 2016, allegro.ai offers the first end-to-end DL lifecycle management solution focused on deep learning as it applies to computer vision. The company’s platform simplifies the process of developing and managing deep learning-powered solutions – such as autonomous vehicles, drones, security, logistics and others.”
9. Volkswagen, Mobileye, & Champion Motors teamed up for funding in an autonomous electrical ride-hailing service. The trio shaped a three way partnership “to deploy Israel’s first self-driving ride hailing service.” Feels like #5, no?
10. Alliance Ventures, which is the enterprise capital arm of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance (is that also a factor?), “has become the lead strategic investor of WeRide.ai (formerly JingChi.ai), China’s leading autonomous driving company focused on Level 4 (L4) self-driving technology, following completion of the company’s Series A funding.” What’s higher than investing in an autonomous electrical ride-hailing startup? Investing in an autonomous electrical ride-hailing startup in China.
“Using the newest funding, WeRide.ai plans to deploy a fleet of 500 autonomous automobiles in 2019, to build up 5 million kilometers of precise autonomous driving mileage, and conduct operation and commercialization trials in Guangzhou and Anqing with key companions. Since launching its autonomous trial operations in China, WeRide.ai’s autonomous automobiles have collected a complete mileage of greater than 60,000 kilometers, and served greater than three,000 passengers worldwide.
“Pre-A spherical lead-investor, Qiming Enterprise Capital participated within the newest spherical, which was additionally supported by Hanfor Capital, Atop Capital, Johnson Electrical, Xiaopeng He, Idinvest Companions, and OceanIQ Capital.
“WeRide.ai, which currently has more than 200 employees worldwide – 70% of whom are engineers, is the first autonomous driving company in China to use 5G network for remote control of a driverless vehicle. The company’s goal is to bring autonomous vehicle operations into Chinese cities by 2020 and become the world’s first large-scale commercial application of autonomous vehicle technology.”
11. Eric Swildens, a “vigilante engineer,” apparently found and thought that Waymo shouldn’t have the ability to monopolize the advantages of a bunch of autonomous driving tech obtained the US Patent and Trademark Workplace (USPTO) to rejected all however three of 56 claims Waymo made in a patent software.
“The USPTO discovered that some claims replicated know-how described in an earlier patent from lidar vendor Velodyne, whereas one other declare was merely ‘impossible’ and ‘magic.’
“Swildens, who receives no money or personal advantage from the decision, told Ars that he was delighted at the news. ‘The patent shouldn’t have been filed in the first place,’ he said. ‘It’s a very well written patent. However, my personal belief is that the thing that they say they invented, they didn’t invent.’”
For autonomous car and AI tales we’ve coated in current months, click on any or all the following hyperlinks:
- Rolls Royce & Finferries Put To Sea In An Autonomous Ferry
- Tesla Invitations Extra Staff To Beta Check Hardware three Autonomous Driving Improve
- Wall Road Analyst: Tesla “One of the Most Dynamic Technology Innovators over the Last 30 Years”
- EVA Autonomous Air Taxi Has Prolonged Wings & Can Perform As Search & Rescue Plane
- Elon Musk & Gayle King Check Drive Via The Tunnel He Hopes Will Enhance LA Visitors
- Nuro Driverless Grocery Deliveries
- Anthony Levandowski Claims To Have Ridden In A Self-Driving Automotive Throughout The US
- Honda To Function Protected Swarm, Wi-fi V2G, & Autonomous Work Vehicle At CES 2019
- Tesla’s Lively Security Options Forestall Accidents, Caught On DashCam
- John Deere Unveils An Autonomous, Electrical Tractor… With A Actually Lengthy Extension Twine
- Robotic Chargers For Electrical Ferries Blinded By The Solar — Black Paint Solves Drawback
- Miami Individuals Mover — Autonomous, Electrical, & Free
- Waymo One Launches In Phoenix At this time
- Sensible Mobility Middle Will Be Based mostly At College Of Warwick
- Walmart Companions With Ford To Outline The Future Of Autonomous Grocery Supply
- Worldwide ZF — From Gearboxes To Autonomous Flying Drones
- Tesla Automobiles Might Ship Themselves In ~1 Yr
- Deep Dive Into Tesla’s Autopilot & Self-Driving Structure vs Lidar-Based mostly Methods
- Ford, Volkswagen To Associate On Electrical & Autonomous Automobiles
- You Can Quickly Stroll Your Tesla Like A Pet — New Tesla Summon Options Coming
Help CleanTechnica’s work by turning into a Member, Supporter, or Ambassador.
Or you should purchase a cool t-shirt, cup, child outfit, bag, or hoodie or make a one-time donation on PayPal to help CleanTechnica’s work.
(perform(d, s, id) var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s); if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1”; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); (doc, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));